Saturday, January 24, 2009

More than I need

So I have come to the conclusion that I live a lifestyle dedicated to having more than I need. This is why I will be donating a suitcase full of clothing and shoes to the "mothers" who care for orphans at the Osu Children's Home tomorrow. There is a special church service to thank these workers who care for some 300 children given up by unwed mothers, or left orphans by parents dying of HIV or other causes. It's the least I can do. Clothing, shoes, bags, all purchased to give a certain impression mean very little when compared to the daily gift of compassion these mothers share with these very needy children. Last week I met a girl who didn't speak at all, appearing to have at least mild mental retardation but who took my hand and led me to the door of the auditorium the church uses. Later she found me after the service, with her spare dress over her shoulder, perhaps in fear that it would be taken from her, I can only guess. I sat with her under a tree as she drank a coke and watched her spill a little on her dress and legs. Pulling a handi-wipe from my bag I encouraged her to wash the stickiness off and then watched as she scrubbed the dust off her feet and legs, using every inch of the cloth. She then just leaned into me and as I held my arm around her I just prayed that God would bless her and bring her health and joy and way out of having to beg for things. I hope to see her tomorrow. I don't even know her name. I may come home with empty bags but I know my heart will be full.

3 comments:

Roia said...

Sounds like you'll be coming home a changed woman.

Becky Bertrand said...

Ah Chrissie, I'm so glad this experience has been such a positive one even though you have had some TIG moments!! At least you got a little bit of preparation in Honduras beforehand!! God bless you for a safe return back to the US.

Child-Whisperer said...

That which does not killus makes us stronger and it seems your T.I.G experiences have done just that. I hope we will be able torecognise the new you that arrives after such a life altering experience.