Friday, January 23, 2009

it's a two for one deal today!

Yes - I found more time to blog. And more to say - what a surprise!! I would be remiss if I didn't talk about how deeply the inauguration of Barack Obama was felt here. Being in the place where some 45 of the 54 castles which held slaves were held before being shipped off to other parts of the world and also being in a country just adjustng to their own democracy and settling into their own new administration, the intensity with which this inauguration was celebrated was amazing! To see the excitement as he took his oath, the hope and joy on my friend's faces was priceless. Obama tee-shirts and bumper stickers are popular here. We had a get together of about twenty people at the place where I'm staying which included other international guests as well as Kyiewa's and Linda's friends from here in Accra. It was kind of fun explaining some of the protocol and watching the reaction to all the pomp and circumstance. It was a challenge to remember all my history and government from 8th grade. sheesh - you know that was awhile ago! I've always been proud to be an American, but this is the first time in eight years that I've been proud of who my president is. Obama was on the front page of every newspaper this week. Even the kids at the center can say his name. (Ok - so I worked on that one all day . . .)

No comments: